Digital Transformation Journey of a Global Restaurant Chain
A year long cloud transformation from a global network of physical data centers used to run company systems and applications.
One of the world’s largest restaurant chains offers technology services to its stores and franchisees that perform functions as diverse as POS systems, store management systems, data analysis and predictive analytics, digital advertisement and e-commerce and customer engagement platforms.
Their IT organization uses a small core staff with limited resources supported by a network of service providers and partners to fulfill key IT roles. Traditionally, the company used a global network of physical data centers to run their applications.
The company engaged with members of our team on key transformation initiatives
- Need to build environments faster and with more flexibility than what traditional infrastructure in a data center could provide
- Need to decouple scale up / out decisions from development cycles to speed the development process (get new apps and update apps faster)
- Address local needs while maintaining global standards
- Reduce CapEx to increase financial flexibility and agility
- Lack of internal expertise in implementing and managing a global, enterprise public Cloud environment
- Need to tie costs to specific internal projects and teams while benefiting from economies of scale
Following the completion of this engagement a prominent financial analyst commented: “The company is establishing a first-mover advantage with digital that can drive sustainable share gains in late 2017 and beyond.”
- Reduced time to deploy infrastructure from 60- 120 days to minutes
- Implemented Cloud automation for some workloads to enable same day deployments
- Enabled global deployment of resources in AWS regions close to end customers / users to increase performance and decrease latency
- 20-50% cost reduction on next generation deployments for customer engagement and data warehouse projects vs. traditional models
- Enabled internal bill back of resources in AWS to specific projects and teams
Following the completion of this engagement a prominent financial analyst commented: “company is establishing a first-mover advantage with digital that can drive sustainable share gains in late 2017 and beyond.”