An enterprise level company, Verdant provides management software solutions that track, access, and update facility Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) compliance and sampling information. With a rapidly growing customer base, the company was beginning to confront scalability, reliability, and performance challenges that could not be solved with their existing on premise infrastructure.
Verdant engaged Effectual to conduct a Well-Architected Framework review as well as to develop and execute a strategy for migrating their Microsoft tech stack to the Amazon Web Services (AWS) Cloud.
Migrating to AWS with an existing Microsoft technology stack
Verdant recognized the importance of leveraging AWS services to address increasing customer demand and scalability issues. At the same time, it was critical that the company migrate their existing Microsoft technology stack. This was a requirement for two reasons:
- All of Verdant’s technical engineers already used Microsoft (.NET and SQL Server)
- The company’s industry clients had tools integrated with Microsoft and were loyal to their solutions
With an experienced team of Microsoft and AWS certified developers, Effectual was confident a seamless integration with AWS services was possible.
Using Amazon EC2 to build a scalable framework
Using Amazon EC2 for Microsoft Windows Server, we rewrote Verdant’s entire on-premise workload to AWS and built a scalable framework that addressed their business challenges. To accomplish this, our team:
- Leveraged IIS and the .NET framework
- Kept the company’s SQL Server but hosted it on Amazon RDS for SQL Server to improve capacity, decrease costs, and reduce database administration
- Automated their deployment using Jenkins and Elastic Beanstalk – like their enterprise clients, they were using Active Directory for user authentication which we were able to easily integrate with SAML
As a result, Verdant was able to stay with a Microsoft technology stack their internal team and customers trusted and were familiar with while taking advantage of the compute capacity of the AWS cloud. Because we began with an existing framework, we were also able to complete the migration far more quickly and focus on adding value with a customized solution.